Attention Wine Lovers!
The Capital Grille is once again holding its amazing Generous Pour wine event, running now through September 2nd. For just $25 a person, you can enjoy as much as you want of any of the nine wines.
Its hard to pass up all this wine pictured and described below for just $25/ person. What a great deal!! (Its a good idea to have a designated driver if you plan to indulge ;)
The Capital Grille had me out earlier this week to enjoy an excellent meal paired with this great selection of wines. This year’s wines were once again selected by Master Sommelier, George Miliotes, whose tasting notes I am including here (he’s the expert!)
Lunetta Rose ~ Sparkling Rose from Trentino Italy
- This was a very nice dry sparkling wine, similar to prosecco.
- George’s Tasting Note: Pale Salmon in color with a fine, frothy effervescence, this delicate sparkler features fragrant aromas of red berries and crisp, clean flavors.
Simčič, 2008/2009 ~ Rebula, Goriska Brda Slovenia
- This is a wine produced in the same manner as wine-making a millenium ago.
- Made with the Ribolla Gialla grape
- Has a deep, orange hue
- We enjoyed this with raw oysters
- George’s Tasting Note: Unique flavors of ripe apple and poached pear, discreet roasted notes and an aroma of yellow fruit. Relish the rich texture and long aftertaste.
Gary Farrell, 2009 ~ Chardonnay, Carneros
- I love chardonnay and this one was wonderful. Smooth, rich and buttery.
- We enjoyed this paired with Beef Carpaccio.
- George’s Tasting Note: 2009 was an exceptional vintage for Sonoma chardonnay, producing flavors of apple cider, white peach and nectarine with surprising notes of lemon cake.
Villa Mt. Eden, Grand Reserve 2007 ~ Pinot Noir, Russian River
- I also love pinot noir and this was excellent
- George’s Tasting Note: A spectacular red with strawberry, cherry and toffee notes accented with spiced tea, toasted oak and hints of cranberry.
Falesco, Assisi Rosso, 2009 ~ Sangiovese/Merlot/Cabernet Sauvignon, Umbria Italy
- Created by Riccardo Cotarella
- George’s Tasting Note: A delightfully complex wine with youthful notes of ripe berry, plum and cherry, well integrated tannins, bright acidity, and classic Italian earthiness.
Chateau Du Pin, 2009 ~ Merlot/Cabernet Sauvignon/Cabernet Franc, Bordeaux France
- George’s tasting Note: An exceptional, medium-bodied Cabernet, delivering scents of berry, plum and green peppers with marvelously smooth tannins.
Conn Creek, Anthology, 2007 ~ Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley
- Blend of the best grapes from 13 different vineyards
- George’s Tasting Note: Made from a blend of Napa Valley’s finest Bordeaux grapes with an aroma of black currant and dark raspberry, generously spicy flavors and wonderfully plush tannins.
Ferrari-Carano, Mountain Reserve, 2008 ~ Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley
- Making its debut at The Capital Grille
- Pairs well with steak; I had it with the Delmonico ( kona rub and shallot butter)
- George’s Tasting Note: Nearly pitch black in color with aromas of bing cherries, dried herbs, cedar and dark chocolate, followed by flavors of black tea, licorice and sweet oak.
Kanu Kia Ora, 2006 ~ Chenin Blanc, Stellenbosch South Africa
- Very sweet
- Aged for 19 months in French oak
- George’s Tasting Note: Exceptionally bright on the palate, this deep gold colored indulgence features liquer-like aromas of dried apricot and honey, with intense flavors of orange peel, pineapple and more honey.